Wednesday 4 August 2010

Happy Birthday Barney

Good morning all,

I love how 2:20pm still feels like morning for me today. Yet again, it's my day off so I woke up nice and late and bummed about for quite a long time. I've finally decided to get my act together and do something productive with my day off. Hence I'm back at the 7th Street Coffee shop with a lap top and free internet connection.

My breakfast this morning consisted of a pop tart, noodle soup in a cup, American cadbury's chocolate and some airhead candy chewy things!! All courtesy of a care package that my friend from my first summer sent me this week. Thanks Rachel!!

This week has been a fairly standard week at camp. The second session campers are fully settled into Asher division and we're just cruising now. Each day brings with it - fun, games and laughter. Coming up in two days time is the annual Asher Division Charity Carwash. This is essentially an afternoon in which 60 little kids climb on cars, with sponges and hoses and attempt to clean them. However, it's more likely that the cars will end up dirtier than when they started. Still, it's cute and it helps raise money for a worthy cause. This year we're raising money for the Against Malaria Foundation. This was the same charity that we chose for the visiting day raffle. Afterall, we spend the entire summer being bitten by mosquitos, but because we have the appropriate medical care, malaria and other diseases are never an issue for us. So why not help those people, who do experience serious problems from mosquito bites?!?

The kids are getting really excited for the carwash. We spent an evening painting posters and they've been put up all around camp. I also went around all the various staff meetings to plug the event. I actually used a story about one of my 6 year old campers and how much he's been looking forward to the carwash and 'making a difference to the world' as guilt-trip bait! Obviously I asked his permission first!

Last night, the older camp (Ceder Lake) organised a staff 5aside soccer tournament. In total there were 9 teams and I brought up a team of staff from Asher division. We played well and out of our four group games, we won 3 and drew 1. We then, narrowly lost in the semi finals to the eventual winners. Sadly, I somehow managed to roll over my ankle as I was jogging off from our second victory. I could no longer run on it so I had to retire for the night. It feels much better this morning so I don't think it's a huge problem. It was just a shame as we had been playing well and I'd put away a nice goal.

Well I've now finished my mango smoothie so I'm off to the mall for the rest of the afternoon. Tomorrow, we're going out of camp to a water park called camel beach. I'm very excited. It's my favourite out of camp trip because we get to walk around in flip flops, without a shirt on and we get ice cream just before we go back to camp! I'll be taking the level 1's (the campers who are less inclined to go on the big rides!) around the warerpark, which means I get to spend an entire day going around the lazy river, which works perfectly for me!

I'll probably post my next entry on friday night while I'm sitting chief OD. In the mean time, I want to wish a huge happy 5th Birthday to my nephew Barney for yesterday and wish my Grandmere a safe and speedy recovery while she's in hospital.

Lots of love

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment