Thursday 30 September 2010

Sydney - The Start of Australia

Hello!!

I'm currently sat in McDonalds using their free wifi on my netbook. Today is our last day in Sydney before taking a night bus down to Melbourne this evening. I thought I'd share with you what I've been up to over the last week in this exciting city!

So as previously mentioned, we've been staying at Cazz's appartment, which is located ten minutes from the city centre, so we really got lucky with that! The first evening we arrived, we met up with Jonny and Toby, who had been on our bus throughout New Zealand and had become good friends of ours. We spent the night at a club in the city, enjoying the new setting we were in.

Day 2: I visited Darling Harbour, which is beautifully set in the middle of Sydney. I checked out the National Maritime Museum as well as the Chinese Gardens: Both very enjoyable and I'd strongly recommend them if you get the chance to visit Sydney. That night, Cazz invited round a bunch of her friends, as well as Jonny and Toby, and we had a big barbecue on the roof of her appartment complex. What would a visit to Australia be without a barbie!?! We spent the remainder of that night at a couple of bars on George Street.

Day 3: We were treated to fine weather, so we decided to visit Bondi Beach. We spent much of that day relaxing by the ocean, checking out the local stores and watching some very talented skateboarders at the beach-side park. We returned to the appartment pretty tired and decided to chill out that evening with a movie.

The next day, Cazz left to go to Brisbane with her work and she kindly gave us permission to stay and look after her appartment while she was away. She was also kind enough to allow Jonny and Toby to stay as well, which meant they no longer had to pay for a hostel room. So there we were - A one bedroom appartment, four boys and one key-card. This meant we had to carefully coordinate our days in order to make sure we could each get back into the room when we needed.

I'll try and summarise the next few days as briefly as possible:

Day 4: We visited the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Sydney Opera House. Yes, the Opera House is just as magnificent and amazing to see up live as it is in the photos! We spent the afternoon chilling around the harbour area and visiting The Rocks (the old settlements of Sydney).

Day 5: I checked out the Sydney Aquarium, which you can easily spend atleast 3-days visiting!! Highlights were the shark pool and sea cows (but not together...I'm not sure the sea cows would stand much chance!) That night, we met up with three of the girls from the Kiwi Experience bus who were in Sydney for one night.

Day 6: I visited the Olympic Park. This was really cool to see, especially as an avid sports fan, who has clear memories of watching the 2000 Games on TV. Being able to see in person, where it all took place was quite a priveledge. It also gave me a good idea of what London 2012 might look like in a couple of years times!

Day 7: We made a trip to Manly Beach. I was hoping to hire a board and spend the day surfing, but truthfully, the waves weren't that great. Instead, we spent the day chilling on the beach and doing a bit of body surfing!

That brings me up to today, where I'm planning on visiting Paddy's Market and seeing what interesting bargains I can find!

I'll finish by wishing a big Happy Birthday to my nephew Alfie, who turned 2 last week, as well as my Mum, whos turning.....35? tomorrow! Love you lots Mummy!

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment