Saturday 3 July 2010

Camp and Asher Division

Hello everyone! So it's a saturday night and I'm currently on duty in the camp office, signing in counsellors as they return from their nights off in order to make it back before curfew. It's not too bad considering I only have to do this twice all summer, since I'm no longer living in a bunk with campers.

So let me update you on things. Last weekend I ran the graduation residential weekend for the national Leadership Programme that I've spent the year managing. It was a fantastic weekend and I truly believe that much of the programming for that weekend will be remembered by the participants and tutors for years to come. The graduation ceremony on sunday was a rather emotional affair, as for a handful of tutors, it was their last Leadership Weekend. At the close, I also mentioned to the participants that this would be my last weekend and that I would be moving on. So we all had a good cry and said many lovely things. It was the greatest way to end a fantastic 8 years of being involved in this programme as a participant, tutor and full time manager.

I flew out the next morning to New York, having said goodbye to all the people I'd worked with over the year. I arrived at camp and hit the ground running. I met the 25 staff members that I'll be supervising this summer and so far they're a really great bunch. They work hard, they care for the kids and we've had a lot of fun together and I'm really enjoying working with them all. It's been nice catching up with all the friends I have here and adapting to the new role I'm in this summer.

The kids arrived a few days ago. I've got 70 6-9 years olds and they're amazing!!! They need a lot more support than the older kids but they are so much fun to be with. We've got some great cheers and songs as a division and many other gimmicks and routinal things that we do on a daily basis, including the Hebrew Word of the day, Munchkin Idol and The Asher Division Bust A Move.

Well it's now past 12:15, which is curfew, so anyone who arrives to sign in now will be screwed. Oh dear!

Good night. Much love.

Word

Scoobi (yes sadly that's all I'm known as here. Apologies to those of you who aren't aware of the whole Scoobi-youthwork-alter ego.)

No comments:

Post a Comment