Wednesday 14 July 2010

Two Weeks into Camp

I'm currently sat in a coffee shop in Milford Pennsylvania on one of my days off. At camp, being able to have a minute to think and relax is like gold dust so I'm making the most of a relatively chilled day by catching up with the internet.

I can't believe the campers have already been here for 2-weeks. Time has flown but I'm having a great time. Of course, there are always issues that crop up on a daily basis (and I'm learning that as a division head, these issues come about ten times more often - but in the grand scheme of things, IT'S JUST CAMP!) Today, my plans are to eat some good food, rest, eat some more good food, and head to Apple Valley later with a bunch of people for their weekly 'wings' night.

I also found out recently, that I've gained a place to run in the London marathon next April so I'm really chuffed about that. It's one of those things that I've always wanted to be able to tick off 'My List' and hopefully, I'll get to achieve this next April. I will be running for Jewish Care, a large British charity who provide a number of services to the Jewish community, specifically for the elderly. I will be running for the Martin B Cohen Centre for Well being who provide services for mental health patients.

What else is there to tell? Well Asher division is running very smoothly. We've had a couple of new staff members join us in the last week and they're both settling in well. The kids are hillarious and I find myself laughing at the the things they say and do constantly throughout the days. The work I've been doing throughout the year was primarily aimed at 14+ year olds, so working with young kids this summer, is quite a change. However, I must say that I'm finding it completely refreshing and really enjoyable. Two nights ago, I ran an evening activity themed around superheroes in order to introduce the concept of Tikkun Olam (a Jewish value that means 'repair the world'). Each bunk had to create their own superhero and dress their counsellor up. They had to decide what their powers and weaknesses were as well as what cause they are fighting for. They were then given a Villain to combat and they had to come up with a plan to defeat them. The aim is that this will lead into other 'Tikkum Olam' programmes throughout the summer such as recycling, charity, acts of kindness etc.

Anyway, enough of the informal education talk. I've finally managed to reschedule my flights for after the new year. I'll be flying back on 16th January (start the countdown!)

Good afternoon!

Sam

2 comments:

  1. Can't believe you're not running for MGB after working here for a year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have gladly run but MGB have no Golden bonds....Jewish Care offered me a place!

    ReplyDelete