Saturday 16 October 2010

The Dumpsite Project

Hello,

So previously, I spoke about my placement at the Regional Rehabilitation Centre for Youths. But being a volunteer here involves more than just your one placement. There are plenty of other projects to get involved with through Volunteers for the Visayans (VFV). For example, soon I will begin tutoring the local sponsored children for an hour after school each day. What I would like to mention here however, is the Dumpsite Project, which I visited for the first time yesterday.

When I refer to The Dumpsite, I'm actually talking about a group of villages located about 45 minutes from Bliss, where we are living. It is a very poor area where the settlements are extremely basic. The dumpsite itself is found near the local villages and sees heaps of garbage spilled over the beautiful natural surrounds of Tacloban. Many of the children from this area come from families that are struggling to get by. They therefore, visit the dumpsite to look for food scraps or any products that they can sell, such as plastic bottles.

The Dumpsite Project is a sponsorship programme that aims to provide food and clothing to these children so that they do not have to visit the dumpsite to scavenge. Yesterday, I visited the local village and met 25 children who are part of this project. We fed them lunch and watched each child receive a brand new t-shirt and jacket. These had been provided by Walter, one of the sponsors, who had flown over from Hawaii to witness the children receiving these gifts. It was really quite touching to see just how thankful these children were.

Upon leaving the village, we headed to the dumpsite. A small group of the sponsored children had been chosen to come with us so that Walter could take some photos of the children with their new clothing and the dumpsite as a backdrop. I suspect these photos will be for promotional use to further increase awareness and funding. I had never seen anything like it. It was completely covered in waste and the smell was horrendous. There was litter and garbage for as far as you could see but the saddest image was that of the children, who were wondering around looking for scraps and items. While the rest of the volunteers went with Walter, to take photos of the sponsored children, I stuck around and tried to interact with some of the kids who were looking for scraps. These are ordinary children. They laugh when you do something funny and they respond when you make conversation. But here they are living a life that no child should ever be forced to experience. I needed to compose myself on a couple of occasions. It was so saddening to see. I took a few photos to remember these images but I couldn't help noticing the contrast between the beautiful landscape of the Philippines and the filthy views of the dumpsite, side by side.

Mano John, one of the Philippino volunteers said something very thought provoking on the Jeepney ride back. He said that he 'enjoys the smell' - to which we looked puzzled and assumed that he was being sarcastic. He assured us that he was not being sarcastic. He said he 'enjoys the smell because it reminds me that I must help them.'

I don't think I can leave this place without trying to do something myself. I'm not sure exactly what I can do but I intend on making it a mission to further help the Dumpsite Project, once I leave the Philippines. Perhaps I can use my work in informal education, to raise awareness amongst the youth in the Western World and maybe create some fundraising projects as a result.

On a happier note, that evening I sat down with the kids in my homestay and showed them all my photos from travelling. It was lovely to have them asking me so many questions and we spent the evening playing games, watching movies and looking at family photos. My next blog update will be a full description of my Philippino family, who I've grown very attached to already.

Much love!

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment