Wednesday 13 October 2010

The Rehabilitation Centre for Youths

Hello,

Having now visited my placement and began working, I thought I would share with you all a bit of information about the Rehabilitation Centre for Youths (RCY) and my first impressions of working there.

The centre currently holds 53 young men aged 15-23 years. For these residents, this is their home for the next few years. In essence, it's a young offenders institution. All off the residents had committed crimes as a minor (under 18 years) but rather than going through the prison system, they are given the opportunity to spend 2-6 years at the RCY until it is deemed by the social services and courts, that they are fit to return to society. This is their one chance in the RCY. If, on being discharged, a resident reoffends, even if they are still a minor, they are not permitted back into the RCY and instead will go to prison.

I was astonished when I first visited at just how friendly and welcoming the residents are. I don't want to judge too soon and be viewed as naive but my first impression is that these young men are not bad. It seems that there are a number of contributing factors which have lead to them becoming involved in drugs, violence and theft. Most of them come from broken families and have experienced a really troubled childhood. They come from some of the poorest parts of the region, where basic living requirements such as shelter and food are sometimes unattainable. Many have come from areas where rebel activity is high and so have been surrounded by negative role models and have been influenced into making poor life choices.

Whatever it may be, they have been brought to the RCY for committing a serious crime. The centre provides a number of services for the residents. These include schooling, behavioural modification, vocational skills training and a disciplined environment where these young men are encouraged to succeed. They are expected to complete daily jobs such as cleaning, washing and cooking, promoting the idea of being part of a community and contributing. As well as basic academic studies, they are taught crafts such as baking, printing and construction in order to improve their future job prospects for when they return to the outside world.

During my orientation, I met with Mum Lim (The head of the institution). She somehow had a copy of my CV and we discussed my background and experience. My role, is to provide some recreational activities and act as a positive role model to the residents. I have always strongly believed that recreation such as art, music and sport have the ability to not only allow people to express themselves and display competence but also act as a tool to teach values, transferable skills and education. Mum Lim was quite interested in my views and we seemed to be on the same wavelength, which was comforting for me, since up to now I've been a bit uncertain as to what was expected of me as a volunteer.

My first day at the RCY allowed me to meet the residents and spend some time talking to them and finding out what they're interested in. They were overwhelmingly welcoming and it gave the impression that seeing new faces is something they really enjoy. On the whole, most of the residents are interested in sport, which suits me perfectly. Sadly, they have no interest in soccer but many are keen on basketball and volleyball - so I'm going to have a think as to what else I can offer. Activities need to be appropriate for the residents as well as suited to the facilities and equipment available - so karate or rugby are probably out of the question! But something like ultimate frisbee would probably work well. I'm also going to have a think about some possible art and music projects that might work since they have some art supplies and a small music room.

After experiencing my first day at the RCY, I sat down and quizzed Mum Lim and the social workers a little more to find out a bit about the process that the residents go through when they get discharged. It seems that the RCY recommend the residents for discharge and then the courts make the final decision based on their behaviour while in the RCY. The sad reality is that for many of these boys, their improvement in behaviour may be irrelevant, if the environment they are welcomed back into is not conducive to living a crime-free life. The centre might work wonders on the residents while they are inside, but if they return to a family who are struggling financially or a social setting where they are easily led astray again, then all the good work of the RCY could be for nothing. Unfortunately, as explained by Mum Lim, the social welfare system in the Philippines is not advanced enough to be able to ensure that all residents upon being discharged, will be placed with either a family or communal living arrangement where they have access to job prospects and a healthy future. I found this side of things hard to handle. How can it be allowed for a centre to have such a positive impact on these young men's lives but then be wasted when they return to the outside world? I guess that is part and parcel of being in a developing country and even if this system can help steer a percentage of these boys in the right direction when they leave, then it is still doing some good. Meanwhile, the positive influence of the RCY, while the boys are in residence is unquestionable.

That's all for now.

Much love!

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment