Sunday 5 December 2010

Goodbye Philippines - Happy Chanukah

Good Morning!

I am currently sat in Tacloban airport awaiting my flight to Manila. I then have a day to kill in Manila before flying to Tokyo tomorrow morning. I don't really know what to say. The last few days have provoked so many emotions that I seem to be leaving the philippines with a very mixed heart. I can not wait to arrive in Japan and fulfill a dream that's existed since I achieved my shotokan karate black belt at the age of 10. However, I am leaving here with so many overwhelmingly positive memories of this place and the people that remain here, making this a rather sombre occassion. Truth be told, I've not been ready to leave any of the places I've visited so far (The US, New Zealand, Australia). I feel that's part and parcel of travelling and something I've grown accustomed to but it still doesn't stop me from feeling quite low right now.

Let me fill you in on my last days here and all the wonderful goodbyes I received. I'll start with Thursday, which saw my last tutorial with my group of 2nd and 3rd graders. I decided to skip the learning part for one day and play a bunch of games with the girls instead. We had a lot of fun, listened to music and it was a really sweet way to end the last 2 months I've spent teaching this lovely group of girls.

Friday was my Despidida (celebration party) at the RRCY, my placement. I invited along all the other volunteers and VFV staff for the occasion. The afternoon began with an exhibition basketball game. The boys club from Bliss, as well as James, Matt and myself, took on a select team from the RRCY. Need the less to say, we struggled severely. The RRCY not only have a larger pool of boys to choose from, but they also spend every day exercising and completing chores. We got well and truly demolished, but we had fun in the process. The end score was irrelevant: A. Because we clearly lost and B. Because I made the RRCY boys fix the score board so that it looked like I had won! Woops

After the game, we had the presentations. This included various dances and musical performances from both the RRCY residents, as well as the boys club and girls club from bliss. There were also a number of messages read by certain residents expressing their gratitude towards me, which was very touching to hear. At the end, I was invited to the stage to receive a framed certificate and say a few words. I then presented a prize to the winning basketball team in the league we had been playing. The presentation was concluded with the dance that Hazel has been working on with the boys. I feel they did her proud. We spent a bit more time saying goodbye to all the boys before leaving to check out an outdoor music concert taking place downtown.

Saturday was spent finalising a few things. I bought gifts for my homestay family, I made sure I had everything sorted for Japan and I spent time with the people I've grown close to here. That evening, the whole group of volunteers went downtown and enjoyed a night out at a few of the local bars and clubs.

Sunday, I spent with Hazel. We went out for lunch at Leyte Park and enjoyed a peaceful afternoon by the pool. That evening was my farewell party hosted by my homestay family. If there's one thing the Vermug's know how to do - it's to throw a party. Without being biased, this was the best volunteer farewell party that I've experienced since being here. I arrived home from Leyte park at 5pm to find the entire extended family already cracking open bottles of beer with music blaring throughout the house. There were about 15 young girls from the community, friends of Alecs and Melly, who had been preparing a number of dances for the occasion. This had originally caused a bit of a stir as Alecs had organised a practice session the previous day at the same time that Hazel runs a class for this same group of girls. At first we thought Alecs was trying to compete with Hazel as a dance teacher, but it turned out she was preparing a surprise for me!

The volunteers and other invited guests joined my family at around 6pm and we enjoyed a wonderful feast cooked by my Nanay, and a big cake with my name spelled out in icing. We then watched the dance performances from the girls. They also prepared a special banner for me. I felt truly blessed that evening and it was a wonderful way to say goodbye to a family that has been so good to me over the past 2 months.

This morning, I woke early and did the rounds, saying goodbye to everyone (that I could find) properly. After a few emotional goodbyes, and even some tears from the kids, I took a Jeepney with Matt, Hazel and Devina to the airport. I think it's a combination of things that have made my experience here a truly sensational one: The community, my homestay, the volunteers, the projects but above all, Hazel Douglas!

On that note, I'd like to wish everyone a happy 5th night of Chanukah. This is the first year that I am not home for Chanukah and it's something I really miss: Spending time with the family, lighting candles at home, early sunsets, wrapping up in the cold weather and giving presents to the nieces and nephews. I had not planned on celebrating Chanukah this year but Hazel thought otherwise and has given me a present each morning so that I can still commemorate it in some way. She's got a nack for present giving, because each one has been perfect so far and I now have three wrapped presents remaining in my luggage for the last 3 nights of Chanukah. I think this might be one of the nicest things anyone's ever done for me.

I'm now at Manila airport waiting for my flight to Tokyo. On to the next one!

Much love!

Sam

1 comment:

  1. This was lovely to read Sam. Happy Chanukah to you and your family. Have a great trip to Japan. I will be following your exploits on htis blog and via Hazel. Thank you for being there for her, especially following the appendicectomy after only having been there for 3 days! Knowing you have been there with her has made it easier for me, her dad and all her friends and family back here. Enjoy the rest of your trip and keep blogging, Anne x

    ReplyDelete