Wednesday 15 December 2010

The JKA Honbu Dojo

Hello!

Having now been in Tokyo for over a week, I thought it might be worth going into a bit more detail on the karate training I've been receiving here.

Firstly, let me explain a little bit about the history of karate. Gichin Funakoshi founded modern day karate at the start of the 20th century. He was a true pioneer who believed that karate was not only a means of combat, but also a physical pursuit and form of exercise, a mental release, a discipline, an art and a spiritual conquest. Karate is not for defence, not for sport, not for show but for life - it's a holistic discipline that covers all of these! Having trained for 15 years and attained the grade of sandan (3rd dan black belt), I realise now more than ever, just how much more there is for me to learn and appreciate.

Funakoshi founded the JKA (Japan Karate Association) which was then, and still is now the most renowned and respected karate federation in the world. After Funakoshi's death in 1957, Sensei (teacher) Nakayama took over as chief instructor of the JKA. During the 1960's, many of the supreme practitioners from the JKA were sent to various countries to teach karate to the world. So although, karate is now universally practised, this all came from the Japanese. Unfortunately, the repercussions of sending the JKA's finest instructors around the world was that the governing structure for karate became rather fragmented as each great sensei decided to form their own federation. Never the less, the JKA still remained as the leading authority on karate.

In 1987, Sensei Nakayama died and Sensei Sugiura replaced him as the chief instructor of the JKA and earlier this year Sensei Sugiura stepped down from this post, due to bad health and was replaced by Sensei Ueki (an instructor whom I've had the pleasure of training under a number of times when he has visited England). The JKA today still has the same reputations that it's always held. Its famous instructor programme continues to produce the finest sensei around and the quality of it's karate is second to none. It's global headquarters are based in Tokyo and for any karate enthusiast around the world, it is a dream to be able to train and experience karate at the Honbu. I feel honoured right now to be able to wake up everyday and study karate at the finest centre on the planet!

So what's it like? It's a professionally run organisation. The Honbu itself has 4 floors, filled with offices, a gym, a conference hall, changing rooms and of course 2 large, state of the art dojos. Karate classes run 4 times a day, 6 days a week. Since my first session, a week ago, I have attended 10 classes, which is most certainly the most times I've ever trained in a week! There is no set schedule, so with each class I attend, I have no idea who the instructor will be, what the session will entail, or how big the class will be.

Of the classes I have attended to date, some have been taught by young, recent graduates from the instructor programme, while others have been taught by renowned masters of karate including Sensei Osaka, Kawawada, Kurasako and Imura to name but a few. To date, I've been unable to fault a class. Every single sensei has been exceptional. It's worth noting that the younger instructors, many of whom are the same grade as me, are the top karate practitioners in Japan right now. When you look them up on the internet, all of them are current or recent national champions and internationally famed. I've spent a bit of time watching youtube videos of these sensei. It's sickening to see how talented they are and being able to train under them is an honour. On the other hand, being able to train under the veteran masters of the JKA is simply breathtaking.

The classes are of course taught in Japanese, as is the case everywhere else in the world. I therefore have no problems understanding the instructions. However, when it comes to the sensei explaining finer details and intricacies, I'm unable to understand. However, I feel I get the general vibe of their explanations from their demonstrations, which highlight what they're trying to put across. Every class has been different so far and whether it's focused on kihon (basics), kata (forms), kumite (partner work) or a combination of the three, I've left the class feeling inspired and enlightened. I wish I could give specifics of classes but it all seems to be a bit of a blur rolled into one incredible experience.

When I was 10 years old, while my friends dreamed of playing football for arsenal, becoming an astronaut or being in a rock band, my boyhood dream was to train in Japan. I'm now eating it, breathing it, living it and loving it!

Much love!

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment